257: A Healthy Poop In You with Dr. Terry Wahls
Wahls Protocol, Wahls Diet, Paleo, Healthy Poops, Multiple Sclerosis, and Reducing Inflammation:
Dr. Terry Wahls is an Institute for Functional Medicine Certified Practitioner and a clinical professor of medicine at the University of Iowa where she conducts clinical trials. In 2018 she was awarded the Institute for Functional Medicine’s Linus Pauling Award for her contributions in research, clinical care, and patient advocacy. She is also a patient with secondary progressive multiple sclerosis, which confined her to a tilt-recline wheelchair for four years. Dr. Wahls restored her health using a diet and lifestyle program she designed specifically for her brain and now pedals her bike to work each day.
She is the author of:
- The Wahls Protocol: How I Beat Progressive MS Using Paleo Principles and Functional Medicine
- The Wahls Protocol: A Radical New Way to Treat All Chronic Autoimmune Conditions Using Paleo Principles (paperback)
- Cookbook: The Wahls Protocol Cooking for Life: The Revolutionary Modern Paleo Plan to Treat All Chronic Autoimmune Conditions.
Let’s create an epidemic of health. – Dr. Terry Wahls
You can learn more about her work from her website, TerryWahls.com. She conducts clinical trials that test the effect of nutrition and lifestyle interventions to treat MS and other progressive health problems. She also teaches the public and medical community about the healing power of the Paleo diet and therapeutic lifestyle changes that restore health and vitality to our citizens.
She hosts a Wahls Protocol Seminar every August where anyone can learn how to implement the Protocol with ease and success. Follow her on Facebook (Terry Wahls MD), on Instagram @DrTerryWahls, and on Twitter at @TerryWahls. Learn more about her MS clinical trials by reaching out to her team: MSDietStudy@healthcare.uiowa.edu.
Top 3 Hot Points:
- Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis and Reducing Inflammation
- Balancing The Wahls Diet, Paleo Diet, and the Mediterranean Diet
- The Clinical Trials with Wahls at Iowa University
[spp-tweet tweet=”Is There A Healthy Poop In You?! Listen to episode 257 with Dr. @terrywahls #healthpodcast #wahlsprotocol #wahlsdiet “]
I’d like the listeners to go to TerryWahls.com/diet and get that one-page handout that is a really great summary of the key concepts of the Wahls Diet. You can put that on your refrigerator and they’ll help you restructure your approach to food and what this really is.
A goal of nine cups of vegetables/greens, sulfur-rich, color-rich, and some clean meat. A lot of great oil such as olive oil or flax oil hemp oil but this is a great pyramid to get you started in terms of how to think about food.
- Links to our Nations MS Society-funded research
- : http://www.nationalmssociety.org/About-the-Society/News/National-MS-Society-and-University-of-Iowa-Launch
- Two studies in Bastyr University that are asking patients with MS or Parkinson’s disease about whether they are following the Wahls diet. These studies are based on surveys that are completed every 6 months and do not require visits to the study site.
- Multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson’s study
- Vinnie Tortorich of Fitness Confidential
- Dr. Anthony Jay Ph.D of AJ Consulting Company
On This Episode You Will Hear:
- [spp-timestamp time=”00:30″] Introduction
- [spp-timestamp time=”05:00″] I have multiple sclerosis. diagnosed in 2000. Being an academic Doc, I sought out the best people got the best treatments and ended up converting into the progressive phase of the illness. By 2007. I couldn’t really sit up anymore. I was struggling to walk, had severe fatigue, brain fog and I had severe episodes of trigeminal neuralgia. That is terrible pain and that’s when I had started after four years, in my wheelchair, doing my own research on the basic science what I could do. I started with supplements to support my mitochondria, which helped reduce my fatigue a little bit, I adapted the Paleo Diet really soon after.
- [spp-timestamp time=”06:00″] I discovered the Institute for functional medicine took their course under protection had a deeper understanding of what I could do more supplements. Then I had this really big aha moment. I should redesign my diet based on the supplements based on the ancestral health principles on functional medicine. So it’s still a paleo diet but much less meat, more vegetables, and it was dramatic the speed of which my pain resolved. My mental clarity resolved, my fatigue resolved, I began walking again. I would ultimately go back to biking and was able to do an 18.5-mile bike ride 12 months after getting up out of that wheelchair.
- [spp-timestamp time=”10:00″] There’s an excessive level of toxins which might be solvents, pesticides, or heavy metals. Then there’s a hormonal imbalance, so that’s true if you have depression, psychosis, schizophrenia, multiple sclerosis, early cognitive decline dementia memory loss associated with diabetes. Also, memory loss associated with mercury poisoning or chronic fungal poisoning.
- [spp-timestamp time=”15:15″] The best test is a test that can look at your species plus the genes plus all the metabolites plus your DNA to tell you can you run all the chemistry that needs to happen? A lot of detail, that’s a lot of detail commercially, those products aren’t yet readily available.
- [spp-timestamp time=”21:00″] In 2020 we will be analyzing our data, comparing the impact of adopting the Wahl Diet or a highly structured Paleolithic diet. This looks like a little less meat, many more vegetables, sort of a hybrid between Paleo and Mediterranean.
- [spp-timestamp time=”30:00″] People are afraid to state that you can reverse disease. What is your position? So my position is the root cause of much of the chronic disease, whether it’s diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure, mental health issues, this is this cellular dysfunction. So if I provide nutritional support at the cellular level, it can be hard to predict how much repair is possible.
- [spp-timestamp time=”40:00″] The internet is a wonderful tool. It helps us learn more rapidly, both the good, wonderful things and unfortunately, some very terrible, hateful things as well. It allows change to happen much, much more rapidly. It amplifies human nature, the wonderful parts of human nature and the less wonderful parts as well.
- [spp-timestamp time=”50:00″] If your physician is not fired up about you eating more vegetables… get a new one. If they aren’t fired up about you wanting to move more… fire them.
- [spp-timestamp time=”01:00:00″] Final Words
- Submit an iTunes Review. More 5 Stars reaches more people!
- Visit our Resources page and a reminder to LIVE-THE-FUEL my friends!
- Join my private Facebook community THE FUEL TANK!