232: Wishing a Happy Thanksgiving & NY Charities
A Happy Thanksgiving Charities Themed Podcast Today:
Happy Thanksgiving and a whole lot of charity work on this cold and thankful holiday in New York. Your host, Scott, shares this year’s charities and support messages to be thankful this season. Special shoutouts to Tunnel 2 Towers with the Stephen Siller Foundation.
Another shoutout to Mary Lanning of her Yes! Solutions in NYC and the many years of serving hot meals to the streets of Harlem with the StreetCorner Gourmets. Stay tuned for a follow-up episode with Brian Strauser of the Strauser Project when we dig deeper into our Staten Island experiences before attending this year’s all-nighter creating over 2000 hot meals with the StreetCorner Gourmets family.
Facebook LIVE From New York City:
On This Episode You Will Hear:
- [spp-timestamp time=”00:30″] Introduction
- [spp-timestamp time=”01:15″] Beards and No Shave November vs Movember.
- [spp-timestamp time=”01:45″] In the USA, we have Thanksgiving. So about eight years ago, I stumbled across a wonderful woman by the name of Mary landing in New York City. This was after my first year of firefighting after I left the corporate space.
- [spp-timestamp time=”03:06″] StreetCorner Gourmets has been going on for 47 years. I just finished my fire season, she loved hearing that story. I said, I’ll be back and give me your contact information. I’m going to come up and I’m gonna volunteer with you, your family, and these people you gather every year to create such a powerful impact.
- [spp-timestamp time=”04:35″] 2000 meals made from scratch, Thanksgiving meals that we create in a commercial kitchen with volunteer work, then taken to the streets, and we serve them hot on the street Thanksgiving morning.
- [spp-timestamp time=”06:12″] Shoutout to Brian Strauser of the Strauser Project, he’s been on the show a couple times over the years. He was inspired to join me this year. Another tradition I’m going to throw in here for you guys is we also attempt to do a mountain bike ride every Thanksgiving day morning.
- [spp-timestamp time=”07:00″] Sleep deprivation is not healthy for us.
- [spp-timestamp time=”07:59″] I got changed in the parking lot, freezing my butt off. This annual ride is called the Jaeger ride. It is inspired by Jaegermeister, the liquor, if you choose not to drink, it’s okay.
- [spp-timestamp time=”08:53″] Brian had his own powerful event that we’re going to bring up on another one of our upcoming shows. A powerful organization out of New York ever since 911, and the loss of the twin towers. Thousands of people and thousands of first responders who had died, triggered an organization that rose from the ashes, The Stephen Siller Foundation
- [spp-timestamp time=”10:46″] Stephen Siller Foundation stepped up. Their tagline is the Tunnel 2 Towers organization and it’s a story of Stephen Siller, a fallen FDNY member who was off duty the day of 911. He tried getting to the tower, grabbed 70 pounds of gear, his clothing, his equipment, ran from the tunnel to the towers.
- [spp-timestamp time=”11:10″] Stephen Sillers Foundation steps up, who is Stephen from 9/11?
- [spp-timestamp time=”13:40″] A cold Thanksgiving in 2018, that we have a lot to be thankful for. In the end, what is the purpose behind all of that what are you doing, to drive all of that.
- [spp-timestamp time=”14:20″] Final Words
We Bring Belonging Back. – Mary Lanning Yes! Solutions
[spp-tweet tweet=”Happy Thanksgiving in NYC! @livethefuel “]
Watch On YouTube:
Links and Resources:
- Stephen Siller Foundation & Tunnel 2 Towers
- Yes! Solutions & StreetCorner Gourmets
- Follow Scott on LinkedIn
- Follow Scott on Twitter
- Follow Scott on Facebook
- Follow Scott on Instagram
We can always work another hour, we can always start up another business, but at the end, what is the purpose behind all of that?!
- Submit an iTunes Review. More 5 Stars reaches more people!
- Visit our Resources page and a reminder to LIVE-THE-FUEL my friends!
- Join my private Facebook community THE FUEL TANK!