Your Co-Host and Professor of Health Today is None Other Than Professor T.D. Noakes, OMS.:
Prof Noakes studied at the University of Cape Town (UCT), obtaining an MBChB degree and an MD and DSc (Med) in Exercise Science. He is now an Emeritus Professor at UCT, following his retirement from the Research Unit of Exercise Science and Sports Medicine. In 1995 he was a co-founder of the now prestigious Sports Science Institute of South Africa (SSISA). He has been rated an A1 scientist by the National Research Foundation of SA (NRF) for a second 5-year term. In 2008 he received the Order of Mapungubwe, Silver, from the President of South Africa for his “excellent contribution in the field of sports and the science of physical exercise”.
Prof Noakes has published more than 750 scientific books and articles. He has been cited more than 16 000 times in scientific literature and has an H-index of 71. He has won numerous awards over the years and made himself available on many editorial boards.
He has authored many books. In 2003 he received the UCT Book Award for Lore of Running (4th Edition), considered to be the “bible” for runners. Since 2011 he has written his autobiography, Challenging Beliefs: Memoirs of a Career, published Waterlogged: The serious problem of overhydration in endurance sports (in 2012), published The Real Meal Revolution (in 2013), co-authored with Jonno Proudfoot, David Grier, and Sally-Ann Creed, and following that the child-focused version of this book, Raising Superheroes (in 2015). The latter two are now also published overseas. In 2014 he co-wrote Always Believe in Magic, with Kevin Musikanth and Jonathan Kaplan, which is the story of the UCT Ikey Tigers journey to winning the 2014 Varsity Cup. The Banting Pocket Guide was published in 2017, co-authored with Bernadine Douglas and Bridgette Allan and most recently he has co-authored Lore of Nutrition with Marika Sboros. This details his journey from prosecution to innocence.
Following the publication of the best-selling book, The Real Meal Revolution, he founded The Noakes Foundation, the focus of which is to raise funding to support high-quality research of the eating plan described in the book.
He now devotes a majority of his time to promoting the low carbohydrate high fat diet, especially for those with insulin resistance, and on raising funds for research through The Noakes Foundation.
He is highly acclaimed in his field and, at age 68, is still physically active, taking part in races up to 21kms.
On This Episode You Will Hear:
- [spp-timestamp time=”00:30″] Introduction
- [spp-timestamp time=”02:40″] Scott flies to South Africa to try and meet Tim in person for this important podcast.
- [spp-timestamp time=”03:15″] Shoutout to fellow friend Vinnie Tortorich while Scott rocks the t-shirt, Eggs & Bacon is My Favorite Cereal.
- [spp-timestamp time=”03:55″] We rewind so our listeners can get more of the background of Professor Tim, back to when he was an Exercise Physiologist, Exercise Scientist. He got into research and wrote the book, the Lore of Running.
- [spp-timestamp time=”05:20″] Tim’s wife is a Botanical Artist who while we were recording this show, she’s able to present in a global exhibit in Johannesburg. Did you know Cape Town is the Floral Kingdom of the World?
- [spp-timestamp time=”08:05″] They suffer from a lot of wildfires there in Cape Town, South Africa. Plants have actually adapted to this extreme. As we’re recording this episode, they were about to get one of their first rains. South Africa has been in an extreme drought for 3-4 years, their worst in memory.
- [spp-timestamp time=”10:00″] Realizing how important water is in our lives. Tim turns himself into a Type II Diabetic and then writes a book about it.
- [spp-timestamp time=”11:20″] The Professor starts to irritate the cardiologists based in and around Cape Town after he wrote a specific chapter in his autobiography. One year later, 2013 brings about the book, The Real Meal Revolution which he co-authored. He only provided the science, not the meals or the nutrition guidance.
- [spp-timestamp time=”12:30″] Dieticians collusion with the Health Professionals Council of South Africa, against Professor Timothy Noakes, for which he’s actually registered with.
- [spp-timestamp time=”13:00″] The TWEET heard around the world that brought charges against Tim, a malicious prosecution to try and silence him. They decided, whatever the costs, they were going to go for it, to stay the truth!
- [spp-timestamp time=”16:00″] Gary Fettke in Tasmania is a good friend of Tim’s and has also gone through legal battles on the healthy truth.
- [spp-timestamp time=”20:00″] The Green List.
- [spp-timestamp time=”25:00″] Talking Waterlogged, hyponatremia.
We want to change the idea of what is healthy food. We want to start from the bottom up with the poorest people because they’re the ones that are really suffering. – Quoted: Professor Timothy Noakes
- [spp-timestamp time=”33:00″] Tim speaks on why living fat-adapted means that your metabolism is wired completely different. Your response to carbohydrate is completely different when fat-adapted vs the carbohydrate-adapted rollercoaster lifestyle.
- [spp-timestamp time=”38:00″] Tim puts on 5kg of muscle at 68 years of age! It requires though his fat-adapted lifestyle with modern protein. He loves working out and CrossFit. You don’t have to lose muscle mass as you age.
- [spp-timestamp time=”44:00″] Scott finds and brings up Tim Noakes’ profile on the CrossFit Open website.
- [spp-timestamp time=”46:00″] After 7 years, his diabetes is finally in remission! His results have definitely improved thanks to him adding these explosive fitness activities into his regime. His glycated hemoglobin has dropped to 5.2%, that is so normal that it’s frightening, it used to be close to 7 when he started. Tim confirms that he IS taking Metformin but clarifies that by itself, it’s not the cure, it may drop you to an 8, definitely not to his healthy achievement percentages.
- [spp-timestamp time=”47:10″] Tim has never been on a diabetic drug, just the Metformin supplement and the low-carb diet lifestyle.
- [spp-timestamp time=”49:30″] We dig more into The Noakes Foundation, how do we correct the dietary errors of the past 50 years? He launched the foundation once he sold 250,000 copies of his book, so he could invest the money back into something bigger.
- [spp-timestamp time=”52:00″] They just launched the Nutrition Network! Here you’ll be certified to be completely competent to prescribe a low carb diet for patients. This is not just for diabetes, but other conditions too.
- [spp-timestamp time=”54:30″] The Banting Pocket Guide, putting 200 people on a randomized controlled trial, give them decent food, helping the poorest of the poor, living on just $2.00 US per day!
- [spp-timestamp time=”56:15″] Hospitals and their Party Packs, their groupings of drugs that aren’t working.
- [spp-timestamp time=”1:00:00″] Digging into The Green Zone in the Banting Guide’s whole foods including Leafy Green Vegetables, Avocados, Celery, Fennel, Garlic, Butter, Olive Oil, Avocado Oil, Coconut Oil, Ghee… FAT Will Not Kill You. FAT Is Energy!
- [spp-timestamp time=”01:01:00″] We connect on the benefits from Nina Teischolz and her book The Big Fat Surprise.
- [spp-timestamp time=”01:01:20″] Scott introduces and refreshes Professor Noakes to Dr. Sylvia Tara, author of The Secret Life of Fat.
- [spp-timestamp time=”01:09:20″] Discussing Vinnie Tortorich’s exciting project, FAT: A Documentary on Indiegogo!
- [spp-timestamp time=”01:10:50″] Final Words
“If we understand that too much sugar in the blood is toxic, why can’t we understand that too much sugar in the body is also toxic?” – Quoted:
Tim Noakes in Diabetes Unpacked
[spp-tweet tweet=”Why can’t we understand that too much sugar in the body is also toxic?! @ProfTimNoakes “]
Watch On YouTube:
Links and Resources:
- Tim on Twitter
- The Nutrition Network Launched May 2018
- The Foundation’s Website
- The Foundation on Twitter
- The Foundation on Facebook
- The Banting Green List on Real Meal Revolution
- These Favorite Books on Scott’s Amazon Influencer Page
- Lore of Running
- Lore of Nutrition: Challenging conventional dietary beliefs
- Waterlogged: The Serious Problem of Overhydration in Endurance Sports
- Real Meal Revolution
- Real Meal Revolution 2.0
- The Banting Pocket Guide
- Super Food for Super Children
- Diabetes Unpacked: Just Science and Sense. No Sugar Coating
- Vinnie Tortorich
- Dr. Ravin “Rocky” Ramdass (Doctor Advocate Attorney)
- Gary Fettke
- Nina Teicholz of The Big Fat Surprise
- Dr. Sylvia Tara of The Secret Life of Fat
We want to change the idea of what is healthy food. We want to start from the bottom up with the poorest people because they’re the ones that are really suffering.
People have got choices and they can afford to eat a good diet and they can choose not too, that’s fine. But the poorest people in this country, South Africa, don’t have a choice. They’ve got no access to good food and no education to know what good food is.
- Please Subscribe and Submit an iTunes Show Rating & Review. The more reviews, the more people can find us. We love 5 Stars too!
- Join our private Facebook Group community called THE FUEL TANK.
- Visit our Resources page and a reminder to LIVE-THE-FUEL my friends!