Lifestyle Podcast with Brittany Culp of Blind Fury Fitness:
Brittany Culp is a personal trainer, bodybuilder, and internationally published model. She runs her own personal training business, Blind Fury Fitness. Blind Fury Fitness provides one on one personal training, as well as online training plans and meal plans. Brittany also has a masters degree in counseling psychology, in addition to a bachelors degree in psychology and sociology.
She believes that mental health and physical fitness go hand-in-hand, and contribute to the overall wellness of an individual. As a child, Brittany was diagnosed with retinitis pigmentosa, which has caused her to lose her sight with age. Brittany has not let her blindness hold her back from becoming the best version of herself, and she encourages her clients to do the same no matter the circumstance.
Top 3 Hot Points:
- Psychiatrists, Anti-depressants, Talk Therapy
- Bodybuilding Competitions, a Pro Card, and Fitness Trainer
- Find Your Why
On This Episode You Will Hear:
- [00:30] Introduction
- [10:00] If your mind isn’t in it, you’re not going to get the results. With motivational interviewing, you have to do a lot with people that come in and kind of gauge where they’re at. Especially working out, it’s mental as much as it is physical.
- [20:00] In reference to Blind, RP, I can see maybe three to five feet in front of me on a good day. The other big characteristic of RP is what we call tunnel vision. So it’s like looking through a straw, you don’t have any peripheral vision, you can’t see on the side. I can’t see directly above me or underneath me.
- [30:35] I think the reason why psychological pharmaceutical drugs get a bad name is that general physicians are handing them out like candy. They don’t really understand what is good for what and for how long and the dosage.
- [41:00] I’m what you call a licensed professional counselor in turn. So you know how doctors when they pass boards, they become an intern, and then they become a resident. The same thing goes for mental health counselors, which I don’t think a lot of people understand. Not everyone can just be a legitimate licensed professional counselor.
- [52:00] When I have phone consultations, sometimes at the end, I disclose that I’m blind. Sometimes I’ll just let them show up to their first session, and then they find out. I’m never really hesitant about that. I know once you come in with that first training session with me, you’re fucking coming back, because I’m a damn good trainer!
- [01:06:00] In bodybuilding and fitness modeling, nobody got there by being lazy. I’m taking some time off to really grow. I need to grow in certain parts of my body, mostly my legs. I’m a tall girl, I have giraffe legs.
- [01:10:00] I think the most I ever deadlifted as I was training for a show, for bodybuilding, was like 185 lbs. That was the most I ever deadlifted. Now for my first day, the other week, I did three sets of three reps at 250 lbs.
- [01:29:00] Final Words
“Find Your Why”
It’s three words, find your why I think for anything in life. This goes for whether it’s your fitness, your career, friendships that you’re maintaining or if you’re thinking about cutting off a relationship. This also goes for if you’re taking the leap of faith and starting a new business venture. Just anything in general, I think you should always find your why. That’s going to give you the answers that you’re looking for and help dictate your decisions moving forward.
- Maxwell Ivey aka The Blind Blogger: http://theblindblogger.net
- Dave Steele, Stand By Me RP aka the Blind Poet: https://www.facebook.com/StandByMeRP
- Facebook www.facebook.com/BritCulp
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/blindfuryfitness
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/culpbrit
- Referenced Eye Exercises with Dr. Travis Zigler: https://livethefuel.com/145-eye-love-coffee-blue-light-travis-zigler/
- Strong Fitness Magazine: https://www.strongfitnessmag.com/motivation/im-an-athlete-who-just-happens-to-be-blind/
Watch On YouTube:
- Submit an iTunes Review. More 5 Stars reaches more people!
- Visit our Resources page and a reminder to LIVE-THE-FUEL my friends!
- Join my private Facebook community THE FUEL TANK!