Today’s Lifestyle Podcast is with Michael Giannulis, a Goat Rancher, Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Participant, Duodenal Switch Surgery Recipient, Turned Marketing Entrepreneur.
Michael Giannulis (Gee-uh-NEW-liss – kind of like “Gee, a new list” because after all, he’s in marketing!) has overcome the odds and loves to share that story to inspire others. Mike especially thrives on connecting with entrepreneurs to motivate them to “do big things” in the world.
Quote: Life rewards those who take action, not those who take notes. – Michael Giannulis
Mike’s story begins in an average family where he had to work for everything he had. He started “at the bottom” and worked his way into the American Dream. In fact, Mike dropped out of high school, went back to get his degree and even went to college… ending up on a popular reality TV show. As a guy who started his working life stocking shelves on the overnight shift at a giant retailer, Mike has seen the spectrum.
FUEL FANS: onlyonemike.com/livethefuel
Now Mike grows and scales companies, using real-world experience to make this happen. His most recent company is on track to do $40 million in gross revenues. He is a serial entrepreneur who develops systems to help other entrepreneurs run multiple companies without having to be there.
In 2012 Mike appeared on the ABC television show Extreme Weight Loss, losing 255 pounds. He has overcome a stutter. He has gone from the bottom of the corporate ladder to the top of the mountain… and he loves helping others do the same.
Top 3 Hot Points:
- Healthy Lifestyle Choices
- Extreme Weight Loss Gained Back
- Success Is Not A Straight Line
- FUEL FANS LINK: onlyonemike.com/livethefuel
- @MikeGiannulis on linkedin.com/in/mikegiannulis
- @MikeGiannulis on twitter.com/mikegiannulis
- @MikeGiannulis on facebook.com/MikeGiannulis
- @MikeGiannulis on instagram.com/mikegiannulis
- Duodenal Switch writeup from Columbia – http://columbiasurgery.org/conditions-and-treatments/duodenal-switch-bpd-ds
- Duodenal Switch writeup from the Mayo Clinic – https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/gastric-bypass-surgery/in-depth/weight-loss-surgery/art-20045334
- Duodenal Switch writeup from The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) – https://asmbs.org/patients/bariatric-surgery-procedures#bpd
If there’s anything that I’m proof of, its that success is not a straight line. There are ups and downs, zigzags and turnarounds. Everything is a continuation of where you came from, and where you’re trying to go. So I would say for people that are out there, whether it’s your business or your health, or whatever it is you’re trying to focus on, just know that it’s going to be a process.
I believe in that a lot, just look for feedback. The funny thing about feedback that I tell people all the time is that feedback usually comes in the form of a problem, a complaint or an issue. That’s how feedback comes to us.
On This Episode You Will Hear:
- [00:30] Introduction
- [05:00] We bought 500 dairy goats. Not only that, they were all pregnant. They were all set to have kids and in about the same month!
- [10:30] There’s always someone else that comes up to me after and says, just so you know, you were not a goat farmer, you were a goat rancher. Farmers deal with crops and ranchers deal with animals.
- [20:00] Well, I don’t want to go out and eat chicken and broccoli, I could do that at home for four bucks. So then you are like, well, I want to get the chicken marsala. I mean, you want to get like the fancy thing. That’s my problem, I controlled it to an extent. I gained back all of the weight after the show ended.
- [30:00] I connect with people that are very big, like 100 plus pounds overweight. There’s not a lot of people that have been there and gone through that. I tell people you’re not going to do this by waking up at 5 am on a random Monday. Then try to run three miles, hitting the gym and drinking your egg protein shake. The human body can’t make that much of a leap. The bridge has to be very small so you will be able to walk it. After all, I lost 255 pounds and that was over 12 months.
- [39:40] I really want to make sure that I’m around for a long time for my future kids. Being fat from the age of four means that I never made a conscious choice to be overweight. My mom and my family cared for me a lot. My mom worked all of the time so she was never home. She was a single mom so I grew up with my grandparents. My grandma was from Alabama and she stated that we fry everything. Everything was just fried, fried, fried.
- [46:00] I think even now, being a business owner, I’ve gotten to the point where I like the business behind business. I’m getting better at creating ideas and putting together teams to build those ideas into reality. I’ve enjoyed that a lot more than the operational side. I enjoy solving problems.
- [51:45] Final Words
- Submit an iTunes Review. More 5 Stars reaches more people!
- Visit our Resources page and a reminder to LIVE-THE-FUEL my friends!
- Join my private Facebook community THE FUEL TANK!
Watch On YouTube: