A Healthy Podcast on Inflammation, Disease, BioTe Hormones, Gut Health, Microbiome, Integrative Medicine, and More:
Stephanie Gray, DNP, MS, ARNP, ANP-C, GNP-C, ABAAHP, FAARFM, is a functional medicine provider who helps men and women build sustainable and optimal health and longevity so that they can focus on what matters most to them! She has been working as a nurse practitioner since 2009. She completed her doctorate focusing on estrogen metabolism from the University of Iowa in 2011. Additionally, she has a Masters in Metabolic Nutritional Medicine from the University of South Florida’s Medical School. Her expertise lies within integrative, anti-aging, and functional medicine. She is arguably one of the Midwest’s’ most credentialed female healthcare providers combining many certifications and training. She completed an Advanced fellowship in Anti-Aging Regenerative and Functional Medicine in 2013. She became the first BioTe certified provider for hormones in Iowa to administer hormone pellets also in 2013. She is the author of the FNP Mastery App and an Amazon best selling author of her book Your Longevity Blueprint. She is the co-founder of Your Longevity Blueprint nutraceuticals with her husband, Eric. They own the Integrative Health and Hormone Clinic in Hiawatha, Iowa.
On This Episode You Will Hear:
- [00:30] Introduction
- [08:00] I think because I’m in the Midwest and there are a lot of baby boomers here, we need more providers, we need what nurse practitioners are often called, which is a mid-level provider. They’re desperate for help. I think that’s part of why maybe we have more rights and more autonomy. Iowa has allowed me to really build an integrative or functional medicine practice. There’s no guarantee that I could have found a true medical doctor who would have allowed me to practice under them this in this manner.
- [14:00] A fireman versus a carpenter approach, describes conventional, or you could say traditional medicine, as being more the fire department. The fire department is used to put out the fire. A chiropractor is then the carpenter approach to move forward with.
- [15:00] You’re not always taught how to prevent future fires, right? That’s where what we do comes in, we’re a functional medicine provider, a contractor or Carpenter as I discussed in my book. We are helping patients build a healthier body using functional medicine principles because we want to get to the root cause. We want to determine if the patient has inflammation and figure out those triggers. We want to help put out that fire without hopefully having to use drugs and surgery.
- [19:00] A Carnivore Study? I want to go off on a tangent now. I am very curious what happens to hormones and what happens to nutritional deficiencies on that sort of diet?
- [23:39] I had endometriosis, which I’m going to talk more about in my second book. I did utilize some of the conventional medicine but I use a lot of functional medicine to help with fertility. I’ve been gluten-free for I don’t even know how many years, five years maybe. I’m not free of all grains but I am 100% gluten-free and I needed to go dairy-free as well.
- [35:00] Terry Wahls is a good friend and colleague, her working knowledge base is ridiculous. She’s someone who reversed her autoimmune condition. She was wheelchair bound with MS – Multiple Sclerosis and was essentially sent home to die. So she did her own research, being she was conventionally trained, she sought out functional medicine and now she’s in the best shape of her life. She feels amazing.
- [43:00] It’s all about gut health. It’s all about getting back to the inflammation. You mentioned punching that fire out and for autoimmune diseases specifically, that’s what Terry Wahls’ book is all about. It is getting the inflammatory foods out of her gut to really reverse her condition.
- [45:30] Chefs in the cooking world do not fully understand microbiome, gut biology, and how food allergies actually work. Sugar tastes good, sugars are addicting, so that’s why they want you to come back.
- [53:00] There are a time and place where with some patients, there’s not a lot they can do nutritionally. If they don’t have the organs necessary to produce the hormones in their symptomatic, they may need hormones. Topical gels and creams, they’re not my favorite, as they’re not the preferred forms. Injectables, those are all synthetic, so I do not like offer those. Then there are sublingual lozenges you can put on your tongue but with BioTe, I believe this is the most potent and safest delivery method. BioTe, Bio-Identical Testosterone Estrogen delivered in hormone pellets.
- [01:12:00] Final Words
Your greatest wealth is health! – Quote
Watch On YouTube:
Co-Host Links and Resources:
- Visit, yourlongevityblueprint.com and use our discount code THANKSFUEL
- Your Longevity Blueprint @DrStephanieGray on Facebook
- @IntegrativeHealthAndHormoneClinic on Facebook
- @StephanieGrayDNP on Instagram.com
- @longevityblueprint on Instagram
- @drsbgray on Twitter
I think we emphasized the importance of eating clean and reducing stress. Those are two awesome tips right there. So I think those are the biggest take homes.
I’ve also said this word a couple of times, HOPE, that’s in the back of the book. I list a lot of references for patients to find functional medicine providers near where they’re living. I think sometimes patients hear things or individuals may hear a message and it resonates but then they don’t know where to go from there. So if it resonates with you, share with someone you know or a family member who may need functional medicine.
Don’t give up, find a provider who can help you repair and rebuild your body. You won’t regret it.
- Submit an iTunes Review. More 5 Stars reaches more people!
- Visit our Resources page and a reminder to LIVE-THE-FUEL my friends!
- Join my private Facebook community THE FUEL TANK!