Time To Burn Your Couch with LionHeart Radio’s Rick Alexander!
Rick is a writer, speaker and performance coach. He’s also the author of Burn Your Couch available on Amazon! As an ex-special operations veteran and ultra-endurance athlete, Rick crafts content to help lead people through adversity and into a life of meaning. You can hear his ideas on his podcast LionHeart Radio which air’s Monday through Friday or by picking up a copy of his debut book, Burn Your Couch. (BurnYourCouch.com)
On This Episode You Will Hear:
- [00:10] Introduction and a regular co-host shout out to Dr. Megan Cannon, Sports Psychologist for getting Rick and Scott introduced. Plus Scott knocks Rick’s bio intro and killed it!
- [04:00] It’s interesting because if you let the wrong thing get into the driver’s seat when you’re going through your life, it’s going to make you miserable. It goes back to that classic quote like how are you supposed to move forward if you’re always living behind or something like that. It’s one of these is something different manifestations of that quote, but it’s is so true.
- [06:24] Why do you have to go back? If you served, then you have that honor and that respect. You can move on to start a whole new chapter.
- [08:00] Three of the most top psychologically strenuous things that you can go through in your life.
- [14:00] That’s the thing, an existential crisis we’ve made that you literally ignore your call to adventure and you continue to do the things that you think you’re supposed to do or you have all these obligations that are essentially self-imposed, right?
- [18:00] If you’re really growth minded, that kind of a lifestyle is rough, and I don’t wish it on anybody, because it means you got to leave relationships, leave jobs and you leave states. If you’re going to honor the process of what growth really requires, that means that you are going to grow away from certain things that are really comfortable in it and that you might enjoy.
- [20:45] I think that it’s entirely possible to find people that you’re going to grow with. It’s just way harder.
- [22:52] One of the mindset shifts for me that it was a literal life changer was focusing on what you do want vs you don’t want. Something that’s really changed my life so you know, I don’t want to go broke is much different than I want to make six figures this year, right?
- [25:20] Preconceived notions and ideas. Cognitive researchers believe that you don’t know about 95% of what goes on in your own brain.
- [27:00] Writing is a process where there’s not a lot of validation.
- [31:20] We’re in a culture of doers, so you just keep doing, and doing, the path just keeps getting further and further away from where you really want to be at times.
- [33:29] You need to protect your energy, you can end up somewhere miserable, burnt out and exhausted. Then you’re going to hate what you’re doing because I’ve literally gone down that road of hustle.
“Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.” … “One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious.” ~ Carl Jung
- [37:00] History of LionHeart. We had all CrossFit athletes that we sponsored, which is why we started the show.
- [42:52] I found the beauty in life which is outside of rigidity.
- [44:04] It’s serendipitous. The morning coffee podcast episodes on LionHeart.
- [46:00] I kept denying that call to adventure and because of that, I delayed what I really wanted to be doing in this world by years. It was painful and if I really fought to get that out there. Burn Your Coach was released a year ago, it was essentially the idea behind that which is a lot of what we’re talking about. Most people mistake being comfortable for being happy and those two things just aren’t the same.
- [47:51] Who are the people you’re surrounding yourself with? Who are the inner circles that you’re allowing your manifestation to take with? Setting big hairy audacious goals normally does not come from the old circles of influence, they come from the new circles of influence that you’re allowing into your life.
- [48:11] I got out of the military at 12 years. Everybody said you got to do eight more years. The only thing I could think about is eight years to do a job that you’re unhappy with when you know there’s an entire life you want to be doing.
- [50:39] I just finished recording the audiobook literally yesterday. It’s a ridiculous process.
- [51:23] There are some great books like former Navy SEAL guys or stories of Navy SEAL’s. Check out Fearless about former SEAL, Adam Brown.
- [52:33] I wanted to be a rock star my whole life. I spent a couple years playing in the music industry and we were huge but we had like a local song on the radio and we opened for some bands that I liked.
- [54:00] How can we achieve more? Do the thing that you feel called to do in the world. It will be the biggest performance hack you could ever imagine.
- [55:24] Final Words
Watch On YouTube:
Co-Host Links and Resources:
I’m going to close it with a Carl Young quote. It wasn’t the quote I gave you at the beginning of the show:
“Until you make the subconscious conscious, it’s going to rule your life and you’re going to call it fate.”
I think there’s no more worthy ideal than figuring out who you really want to be in what you really are. I know I’ve been talking about it throughout this whole show.
Until you do that, everything else won’t matter. You’ll put your energy in the wrong place, you’ll be in the wrong relationship, you’ll do the wrong job and not necessarily every single aspect.
- Submit an iTunes Review. More 5 Stars reaches more people!
- Visit our Resources page and a reminder to LIVE-THE-FUEL my friends!
- Join my private Facebook community THE FUEL TANK!