Baltimore Resident, Blue Collar Influencer, Inspiring Your Superior Self:
Host of Your Superior Self, Trey Downes is a thirty-something-year-old dad of three living in the suburbs of Baltimore, MD. His wife, Marisa, is a labor and delivery nurse and together they are striving, like most working-class families, to find happiness and balance.
Growing up in a small town in Delaware, Trey recounted the working-class culture cycle: You are a union worker for the same company your father worked for and your grandfather worked for before him. You clock in and out for 30 years, going through the motions until you retire.
Trey discovered that he was in the majority among his peers and launched YYS with a mission to break that cycle, successfully cultivating an inspirational community for people looking for a path to self-growth. The concept behind YSS pays tribute to Trey’s favorite author, Ernest Hemingway, and his infamous quote:
“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men.
True nobility lies in being superior to your former self.”
On This Episode You Will Hear:
- [00:30] Introduction
- [03:00] Hardcore History with Dan Carlin.
- [08:40] Does today’s generation have that type of commitment? It’s always what is owed to me.
- [12:25] Airwalk shoes and Jnco jeans.
- [15:30] Wrestlers, the Briscoe Brothers
- [19:31] I am trying to reach like the blue collar workers, the blue collar entrepreneurs.
- [24:47] Reading physics book as a blue collar guy. He’s on the treadmill right now. He’s on cruise control. I’m like, Look, man, we are the creators of our own success. Wake up to it.
- [33:15] I think people don’t understand the power of getting a properly tailored dress shirt.
- [35:48] Quote, Live Life To The Fullest by Ernest Hemingway. I actually want to know what is the moment in his life that inspired that quote.
- [42:44] If I could do this, I can do anything.
- [46:08] So what was your breaking point? What was your Ernest Hemingway moment? What was your reasoning for saying, you know what I’m done?
- [54:07] That’s the goal, right? To build ourselves into person that we want to be on any day, we could fall back any day. But you have to keep the strength inside of you, you have to keep the passion. You have to keep the disciplines that you do every day to keep pushing you and building yourself into that role that you want to be in or that person that you want to be.
- [57:34] That helps you understand a little more about how I set out balance in my life. I didn’t know these things, back to your point, right? I had to put in all these different reps.
- [59:50] Dog walkers making $100,000 per year, blue collar?!
- [01:06:07] 30 more years? 25 more years? A freakin retirement clock on my phone that lets you know what I’m gonna retire like, Are you kidding me?
- [01:15:15] Final Words
Don’t wish it was easier, wish you were better. – Jim Rohn
Watch On YouTube:
Co-Host Links and Resources:
- Trey Downes on Facebook
- Trey Downes on Instagram
- Trey Downes on Twitter
- Trey Downes on Linkedin
- Mary Shores
- Ernest Hemingway
- Jim Rohn
- John Lee Dumas
- Hardcore History with Dan Carlin
- Become Your Hero – Milosz Pierwola Modern Day Explorer
- Briscoe Brothers
- Christopher Schafer of Sharp Dressed Man
- Author Joe Mechlinski
I want to say to you the listener, that it doesn’t matter what it is that you’re thinking about right now, whether it’s business or personal fitness, or investing or being a father or spouse, all it takes is one action one step into that direction.
Opportunities will open up that you never thought that maybe might have been there. Like, for me, it was I didn’t think that was would be a podcaster, I had a dream that I wanted to make a difference in the world. I wanted to voice my opinions about self growth and self betterment. I just took one step, I went to Google and YouTube, searched how to be a podcaster and I learned how to put a show together and a website and now I’m over here talking to Scott getting after it about self betterment, self growth.
So don’t be afraid to take that step and don’t hesitate because the more time that you take, the less opportunity to get better or faster it’s you know, you’re you’re losing time and I the biggest regret that I have is is not starting sooner so that’s that’s pretty much it man like just get after it.
- Submit an iTunes Review. More 5 Stars reaches more people!
- Visit our Resources page and a reminder to LIVE-THE-FUEL my friends!
- Join my private Facebook community THE FUEL TANK!