Nutrition Powered Co-Host for 2017:
Over the years we have been bombarded with fear-based messaging around nutrition and misinformation about body image. It’s around this time of year people decide to make fitness goals but begin on a foundation of this wrong information. Leading to poor results coupled with failed goals. Starting with your nutrition will help give your body the balance it needs to begin building your health and wellness. Helping us understand nutrition in 2017 is today’s Co-Host Erin Sparrold. Erin has over 20 years experience in the nutrition field, and is the Nutrition guru at Mind of the Athlete.
On This Episode You Will Hear:
- [01:28] Erin originally majored in Political Science because she wanted to go on and work with the Government and become a Legislator. After taking a few courses in Political Science she realized it was not her thing. She felt she wasn’t assertive enough to be in the political world. Erin, being an athlete throughout College, always had a fascination with nutrition.
- [02:34] Competition changes your nutritional focus from your regular, non-athletic lifestyle nutrition. Erin has been at Mind of the Athlete for two years.
- [05:49] The pressures of Body Image.
- [07:10] The Secret Life of Fat by Dr. Sylvia Tara PhD and the dietary effects on women. When you have a women that has become too lean, it can have a negative impact on her hormonal cycling and her health.
- [09:52] Progesterone is one of the hormones in our bodies that stimulates and regulates various functions. There is so much fear based messaging around nutrition, but people do not understand the power nutrition has to building health and wellness.
- [11:19] Get yourself off of the magazine diet. There is so much misinformation in them.
- [12:49] Visiting a professional vs getting your information out of a magazine. Trying to sort through the noise.
- [14:50] Don’t knock it until you try it. Remove what is bad in your diet. Let your body balance and clean up then try to reintroducing it and see how your body reacts.
- [18:09] Behavior and food are really intertwined.
- [21:49] When you cut excess sugars out of your life, your energy curves start smoothing out. Your body is such a powerful machine, it will communicate with you.
- [22:35] Listening to your body. Learning how to nurture and take care of your body. Make the empowered choice to take care of your body.
- [25:42] The benefits of consuming healthy fats.
- [27:39] The Egg. One of the most perfect foods.
- [29:08] Using scales creates a really unhealthy relationship with your body.
- [29:32] Intermittent fasting and inflammatory weight.
- [30:51] Toxins that surround us and cleansing the right way.
- [32:54] Our bodies are really good at detoxifying ourselves. The unfortunate thing is we are exposed to so many more toxins now, our bodies can get overwhelmed. We cannot separate ourselves from our environment.
- [35:41] There is no standardized protocol for a cleanse. You do not want to be fully starving your body during a cleanse.
- [37:05] Lack of education. Always go for Nutrient density
- [38:37 ] NSNG and Ketogenic
- [41:00] Metabolic Efficiency Training
- [43:03] Carbohydrates. Nutrient dense carbohydrates.
- [44:54] Nutrient quality. UnDenatured Protein
- [48:08] Final Words
Links and Resources
- The Book: Mind of the Athlete: Clearer Mind Better Performance
- Mind of the Athlete on YouTube
- Mind of the Athlete on Facebook
- Mind of the Athlete on Twitter
- Mind of the Athlete on Instagram
- The Secret Life of Fat
- Dr. Jarrod Spencer
- Dr. Megan Cannon
- SYR CrossFit
- Rob Eschbach
- Dr. Sylvia Tara PhD
- Stacy Sims
- Vinnie Tortorich
- Brian Strauser
- Dr. Andrew Weil
- Bob Seebohor
Final Words on Balance
Right now Erin and Dr. Megan Cannon of Mind of the Athlete are working hard to bring about some change in how people approach their bodies and their health. They are starting a program and launching a group that is meeting at Mind of the Athlete, starting January 9th 2017 called BALANCE. It is all about approaching your body image and your nutrition from a healthy place to build health. More than focusing on trying to lose weight. A lot of people miss the boat trying to make the number on the scale smaller. They make themselves much less healthy. Sometimes they just don’t know how to do it well.
- Please Submit an iTunes Show Rating & Review, we need more reviews to increase our ranking and appearance. We love 5 Stars!
- Join THE FUEL TANK our community on Facebook! – “You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with.” ~ Quote by Jim Rohn
- Be sure to check out our Resources and a reminder to “Keep Living The Fired Up Epic Life everyone!” #livethefuel