Fat… Understand It, Know It, Beat It:
Knowledge is power and a lot of us certainly have not been educated when it comes to understanding Fat. On this episode, we talk with Dr. Sylvia Tara. Sylvia holds a PhD in biochemistry from the University of California at San Diego and an MBA from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. She was a consultant with McKinsey & Company and has worked at some of the world’s largest biotechnology companies. She lives in the Los Angeles, California area. Sylvia is now the author of The Secret Life of Fat. The book brings together years of research to reveal its’ true identity… as an endocrine organ. The right amount, is critical to our health.
On This Episode You Will Hear:
- [02:17] What got Dr. Sylvia into Biochemistry and more specifically into Fat
- [04:06] We think of this as excess calories from overeating which triggers it to be stored for later use. We have too much and we must get it off right away. We actually need to stop living the “Low Fat’s” lifestyle and get back to Healthy Fats. It is actually an endocrine organ, meaning it is producing hormones that are releasing into our bloodstream. Our bodies depend on those hormones for so many things. These cells keep our immune system, along with our bones strong. Even our brain size is linked to healthy fats.
- [05:54] The hormone that your fat produces and distributes is called Adiponectin. It helps guide it back to your fat tissue through your blood stream. It helps clear the blood of Triglycerides and also toxins.
- [07:41] Visceral fats, Nutritional Cleansing, fasting and sending your organs on vacation
- [12:53] Intermittent fasting
- [16:34] What is a calorie
- [19:43] Know your fat and understand it
- [21:44] Fat is an obsession, it’s a dirty word. The four letter word “Diet”
- [24:50] Position on liposuction
- [25:58] We are all born with a certain amount of stable fat cells.
- [26:45] Obesity. Our bodies are good at adapting to the environment. Our stem cells can even create fat cells in the absence of food.
- [28:16] You are not just shrinking a reserve of calories, you are shrinking an organ. Leptin is a hormone that your fat cells produce. It’s the “Master Hormone” That Regulates Body Weight and is tied to a lot of your major organs including your brain.
- [30:16] #NSNG
- [35:10] Human Growth Hormone. The body creates it’s own HGH, Dr. Sylvia shares examples of when it is naturally produced.
- [37:06] The benefits of fasting, detoxing and your body cleaning itself out
- [37:48] The Grain Brain
- [39:50] Understanding your body vs diets
- [41:34] Looking to lose 10lb’s in the next 24 hours. A free give away on Dr. Sylvia’s website
- [43:06] Take the time to understand what this is and what it actually does for your body. Weight loss is really hard. There is not a quick fix, it’s about a new lifestyle.
- [44:33] Using chocolate as a reward during a fasting period.
- [46:22] Willpower. It’s like a battery, you have to put in the reps to keep it charged.
- [48:07] A traditional MD or the average everyday Doctor does not know anything about nutrition.
- [52:24] There is no cookie cutter solution. We are all different.
- [53:42] Your ab’s are not made in the gym, they are made in the kitchen
- [57:02] Put in the reps, hone your craft
- [58:30] Kristy Jo Hunt. Throwing out the scales. Using archaic BMI readings
- [01:01:40] Final Words
- What is Adiponectin?
- What is Leptin?
- Leptin and Weight Loss
- Science to Live By
- The Secret Life of Fat
- Dr. Sylvia Tara on Twitter
- Dr. Sylvia Tara on Facebook
- The Secret Life of Fat: The Science Behind the Body’s Least Understood Organ and What It Means for You
- The Grain Brain
- Mind of the Athlete
Empower yourself. Fat control may seem elusive, and it might seem like you have tried things but failed. The more you know, the more you can manage your fat. Knowledge is power. Fat is not what you think it is. It’s not just a reserve of excess calories. It’s not something you have to get rid of at all costs. You can have fat and be healthy. More importantly, you have to understand your fat. You have to understand it is an organ. It’s not just sitting there. You have to know how to work with it and not against it if you’re really want to manage your fat.
- Thank you for listening, please take a few minutes to Submit an iTunes Show Rating & Review, we love 5 Stars!
- Join THE FUEL TANK on Facebook! – “You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with.” ~ Quote by Jim Rohn
- Follow us on all of social media @LIVETHEFUEL – “Keep Living The Fired Up Epic Life everyone!” #livethefuel